Friday, September 14th, 2012. 8weeks.
I really didn’t think things would be so up in the air at eight weeks pregnant.
Honestly, I thought I would be announcing our happy news on Facebook at this point. I thought I’d spend the nights I’m alone while the husband is at work using my awesome new home fetal heart doppler to listen to my baby.
(Yeah. That bad boy came in the mail the day of our first ultrasound, by the way. It now resides in its unopened box under the bed, along with the pregnancy books, because I’m afraid to look at it.)
I really am in pregnancy limbo.
And I really hate limbo.
There is truly nothing I can do but wait, and that’s just not my style. Even Dr. Google has stopped giving me new information. Ugh.
I’ve started the dangerous path to over-rationalization, which is something I do when I’m very nervous or expecting a bad outcome.
I mentally go over my early pregnancy symptoms, and try to remember the days I had them and the days I didn’t. I try to pinpoint when they left, and match that up with the date Dr. K saw old blood in my uterus.
Was that the appropriate time frame for a miscarriage to have started? Did my baby stop growing a week ago, creating the blood that resulted in brown spotting this week?
All of these things can be completely unremarkable in a pregnancy.
Spotting? Happens to lots of people, and brown spotting is not of much concern.
Loss of symptoms? Hormone levels can plateau in any normal pregnancy, and sometimes symptoms fade in and out. No biggie.
Slow growth? It happens, and a lot of the time baby catches up. Early growth can be hard to gauge sometimes, especially with a tilted uterus.
All of these things alone can be perfectly normal.
All of these things together with my particular situation are extremely worrisome.
I am finding myself planning ahead on two separate paths…
On the one path, I am going ahead with that Facebook announcement. I’m registering and decorating a nursery and holding my new baby in the hospital.
On the other path, I’m making the decision whether to miscarry naturally or seek medical intervention. I’m grieving and healing and preparing to hop back on the TTC roller coaster.
One thing I’ve decided though, is how I will proceed if I am forced down that second path. I can’t know what my body will do on its own, but I want to wait two more weeks before forcing anything to happen.
10 weeks pregnant. If the news is bleak at Tuesday’s ultrasound, then 10 weeks pregnant is as far as I will get.
Of course, there is still the small chance that maybe Gummy Bear decided to kick it into high gear this week and I’ll end up making it well past that 10 week mark… and down that first path after all.
I hope to God that’s the path I end up walking.